President of Latvia Emphasises Importance of International Co-operation for Development of Latvia’s
The chairman of the council, Jerry Wirth, informed the President about the council’s views as to how Latvia’s business environment can be improved so as to ensure greater trust and interest about Latvia.
The discussion focused on taxes, improvements to legal regulations, as well as improvements to insolvency processes. President Bērziņš said that the council’s proposals are logical and largely reflect his own views about possible improvements in the area of economic development.
President Bērziņš said that of essential importance for Latvia are trustworthy and stable partners all around the world, particularly because Latvia alone cannot influence a large range of issues. He called on the council to be an active participant in the process and to make proposals and offers as to how the situation can be improved.
Professor Dani Rodrik from Harvard University emphasised the importance of co-operation in order to make sure that Latvia’s interests are observed. He said that this is based not just on Latvia’s size and location, but also on its close involvement in various international institutions – something which often means that Latvia’s decisions are not the last word when dealing with specific issues.
President Bērziņš confirmed that it is essential for Latvia to shape co-operation with Western countries, Eastern countries and Central Asia. "We must expand our range of co-operation and diversify export markets," he said. The meeting also dealt with the importance of energy resources in Europe’s future development, as well as the importance of Latvia’s goal of introducing the euro.
]At the conclusion of the meeting, the President thanked the Foreign Investors’ Council for loving Latvia and the work that it has invested here, emphasising that he is prepared to be personally and active involved in the resolution of concrete and specific issues, as well as the evaluation of relevant proposals. He called on investors to shape ever-closer links with Latvia and to invest in new and promising projects, particularly long-term ones.
Latvijas Valsts prezidenta kancelejas Preses dienests
- SEB Eastern European Outlook: Gradual recovery - major economies will diverge
- Global Finance: SEB banka is the best foreign exchange service provider in Latvia
- Latvia successfully prices seven-year bonds at a historically lowest interest rate
- Finance Ministry proposes reducing VAT on July 1, personal income tax in 2013
- Cabinet approves Development Cooperation Policy Plan for 2012
- Russian Economy Forecasts
- Baltika Group first quarterly year-over-year sales growth in two years
- European Investment Fund expects greater expansion of Latvian Venture Capital market in 2011
- Invitation to a public lecture by the Swedish journalist Fredrik Laurin at SSE Riga
- AS “Latvijas Krâjbanka” increases stock capital of subsidiary company
- Football family is invited to create an official Baltic Cup tournament logo
- Ventspils nafta wins Best Interactive Investor Relations
- Philips reports fourth-quarter comparable sales growth of 7%; operational results up by 20%; 2013 financial targets achieved
- FIVE BULGARIANS ARRESTED FOR INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT CARD FRAUD
- Counterfeit euro print shop busted in Spain
- Tractor thieves halted by Eurojust and Europol coordination
- ANTI-HUMAN TRAFFICKING OPERATION HITS BRUSSELS’ RED LIGHT DISTRICT
- INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF LATVIAN PAYMENT CARD FRAUDSTERS DISMANTLED
- Āboltiņa to Baltic parliamentarians: Cooperation in energy and Rail/BalticRail Baltica project are important both from economic and geopolitical perspective
- 690 internet domain names seized because of fraudulent practices
13:21 EET 09.03.2014