While on visit in Denmark, Foreign Minister Kristovskis highlights significance of closer economic co-operation
Latvian and Danish Foreign Ministers launched a joint statement on the situation in Belarus and discussed the ways to strengthen the European Union's Eastern Partnership policy.
The ministers also reviewed the developments in Afghanistan concerning the commitment of further funds towards NATO ISAF forces that were discussed at the Lisbon Summit. It was emphasised that a stronger focus on civilian involvement of the countries was required for stabilising the situation in Afghanistan.
In his address to the participants of the discussion on energy security in the Baltic Sea Region organised by the Baltic Development Forum in Copenhagen (BDF), the minister presented the political and economic situation in Latvia and highlighted the decisive steps which Latvia had to make in order to implement the required reforms required for leading the country out of the crisis. At the same time, the speaker reiterated the government's pledge on continued structural reforms and financial consolidation in order to ensure sustainable and competitive environment for investments in Latvia. "The goal of the current economic policy is to improve the business and investment environment in Latvia," Foreign Minister emphasised and added that challenges in further economic recuperation of Latvia were sustaining social stability and reducing the shadow economies.
Minister Kristovskis invited representatives from Danish business community to get actively involved in the development of the energy sector in Latvia and the Baltic Sea Region, which would have a vital significance both for the revitalisation of Latvia's economy and for strengthening energy security. The parties discussed the possibilities of implementing the BEMIP projects, including the integration of the Baltic-Nordic energy networks, the building of interconnections and the prospective development of energy generation capacity. During the discussion, the Foreign Minister also expressed a proposal to hold one of the future Baltic Development Forum summits in Latvia, possibly, as early as in 2013. Taking part in the discussion were representatives from leading Danish energy companies and energy research institutions, as well as members of association operating in various economic sectors.
Baltic Development Forum is a platform for co-operation, which brings together large companies, major cities and business associations in the Baltic Sea Region. Baltic Development Forum works with a wide range of partners, including governments, businesses, leading research institutions and media. Annual summits of BDF are held since 1999. Riga hosted a BDF summit in 2003.
As part of the visit, the Foreign Minister also met with representatives from the Danish Export Council.
Foreign Minister Kristovskis will further go to Finland where he is to meet with the President of Finland Tarja Halonen, Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb, and the Head of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Parliament, Pertti Saliolainen. The minister will also visit the MATKA 2011 Nordic Travel Fair in Helsinki and meet with representatives from the Finland Council of Commerce and Export Promotion.
Ministry Of Foreign Affairs
Press and Information Division
- Foreign Minister to take part in 68th Session of UN General Assembly
- Visa Representation Agreement with Poland to take effect
- Baltic states agree to closely cooperate on implementation of Third Energy
- Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs to take part in meeting of Nordic, Baltic and Visegrad foreign ministers
- Foreign Ministry and LDDK tell about OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises and their application in Latvia’s companies
- Presentation on Latvia’s experience in overcoming crisis at an international forum State Chancellery
- Cabinet of Ministers reviews Foreign Ministry reports on shortcomings of national courts having led to complaints to ECHR
- Foreign Minister of Latvia Edgars Rinkēvičs to go on working visit to Finland
- Ukraine feels the gas squeeze
- Foreign Minister: During those historic days, everybody rose to struggle for independence
- Football family is invited to create an official Baltic Cup tournament logo
- Ventspils nafta wins Best Interactive Investor Relations
- Philips reports fourth-quarter comparable sales growth of 7%; operational results up by 20%; 2013 financial targets achieved
- FIVE BULGARIANS ARRESTED FOR INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT CARD FRAUD
- Counterfeit euro print shop busted in Spain
- Tractor thieves halted by Eurojust and Europol coordination
- ANTI-HUMAN TRAFFICKING OPERATION HITS BRUSSELS’ RED LIGHT DISTRICT
- INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF LATVIAN PAYMENT CARD FRAUDSTERS DISMANTLED
- Āboltiņa to Baltic parliamentarians: Cooperation in energy and Rail/BalticRail Baltica project are important both from economic and geopolitical perspective
- 690 internet domain names seized because of fraudulent practices
TOP 5 sites
14:15 EEST 01.09.2014