Āboltiņa: Excellent relations between Latvia and Poland help to solve EU and regional development issues
Marshal Kopacz and the accompanying delegation of Polish parliament members are on a visit to Latvia on 30–31 May upon the invitation of Speaker Āboltiņa.
"Relations between Latvia and Poland are good on all levels, including the political dimension, personal contacts, education, art and culture. I would like to especially highlight our good economic relations because the total trade turnover between our countries reached a billion euros last year. Furthermore, today we have received an important message that the Lesser Poland Voivodeship is interested in concluding a cooperation agreement with Latgale; that is a positive practical example of how two countries can cooperate and support each other," stated the Speaker of the Latvian parliament at the press briefing.
The Speaker of the Saeima said that Latvia regards Poland as a regional leader, and she emphasised the need to strengthen the consultation process on all political levels, including the parliamentary level, with regard to topical issues on the EU agenda. "We actively cooperate within the so-called Friends of the Cohesion group, and we also have a similar opinion regarding common agriculture payments," Āboltiņa remarked.
The Marshal of the Polish Sejm also stressed that both countries have the same interests in the negotiations concerning the EU’s new multi-annual budget and that close cooperation is necessary in the struggle for cohesion and agricultural financing. Likewise, Marshal Kopacz thanked Latvia for the support it has given to the local Polish community, including its Polish schools.
"We highly value the fact that Polish nationals supported us in the founding of our country and actively participated in its restoration. Today the Polish community is still very loyal to Latvia," the Speaker of the Saeima said, emphasising that Latvia consistently ensures opportunities to receive education in minority languages, including Polish.
During the official visit, the Marshal of the Polish Sejm will meet with Andris Bērziņš, President of Latvia, and Edgars Rinkēvičs, Minister for Foreign Affairs. Marshal Kopacz will also lay flowers at the Monument of Freedom, as well as visit the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia, the Ita Kozakēviča Polish Secondary School, and the a/s Dzintars company. She will also tour the Old Town Riga, the block featuring Art Nouveau buildings and the Riga Central Market.
On Thursday, 31 May, the Marshal of the Polish Sejm will address the Saeima during its plenary sitting.
Marshal Kopacz is accompanied by Kazimierz Kleina, who is a member of the Polish Senate, and members of the Sejm – Artur Górski, Piotr Bauć, Józef Racki, Marek Balt, Andrzej Romanek and Krystyna Skowrońska.
Saeimas Preses dienests
- Foreign Minister to take part in 68th Session of UN General Assembly
- Visa Representation Agreement with Poland to take effect
- Baltic states agree to closely cooperate on implementation of Third Energy
- Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs to take part in meeting of Nordic, Baltic and Visegrad foreign ministers
- Foreign Ministry and LDDK tell about OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises and their application in Latvia’s companies
- Presentation on Latvia’s experience in overcoming crisis at an international forum State Chancellery
- Cabinet of Ministers reviews Foreign Ministry reports on shortcomings of national courts having led to complaints to ECHR
- Foreign Minister of Latvia Edgars Rinkēvičs to go on working visit to Finland
- Ukraine feels the gas squeeze
- While on visit in Denmark, Foreign Minister Kristovskis highlights significance of closer economic co-operation
- Football family is invited to create an official Baltic Cup tournament logo
- Ventspils nafta wins Best Interactive Investor Relations
- Philips reports fourth-quarter comparable sales growth of 7%; operational results up by 20%; 2013 financial targets achieved
- FIVE BULGARIANS ARRESTED FOR INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT CARD FRAUD
- Counterfeit euro print shop busted in Spain
- Tractor thieves halted by Eurojust and Europol coordination
- ANTI-HUMAN TRAFFICKING OPERATION HITS BRUSSELS’ RED LIGHT DISTRICT
- INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF LATVIAN PAYMENT CARD FRAUDSTERS DISMANTLED
- Āboltiņa to Baltic parliamentarians: Cooperation in energy and Rail/BalticRail Baltica project are important both from economic and geopolitical perspective
- 690 internet domain names seized because of fraudulent practices
TOP 5 sites
15:44 EET 08.03.2014