Foreign Minister and EU Special Representative discuss Central Asian region’s issues
Mr Morel noted that the international workshop on the transformation of the NDN into a commercially viable trading route and the project’s potential impact on the development and future of Afghanistan had been arranged at the right time. A number of international conferences on Central Asia and Afghanistan have recently taken place, including on border management and fighting drug crime.
Special Representative Morel indicated that for a further development of the NDN, particular attention should be paid to streamlining customs procedures on the borders of the Central Asian countries that now take 60% of goods delivery time and 64% of shipment costs.
The parties also discussed the EU-Central Asian relations. Minister Rinkēvičs noted that it was important to ensure the presence of the EU delegations in all the countries of the region. Currently Turkmenistan is the only country which does not have an EU delegation.
Pierre Morel believes that it is vital to allocate more funding both for EU programmes in Central Asia and for bilateral projects with member states. The parties were of the same mind that Central Asia has a huge cooperation potential, although its business environment is complicated, with weak protection of investments.
Foreign Minister Rinkēvičs emphasised that it was necessary to promote a political dialogue with Central Asian countries, as well as dynamising economic relations, and pledged Latvia’s readiness to continue actively working with the region, both politically and economically.
Mr Pierre Morel has held the post of EU Special Representative for Central Asia since 2006. He has served as Ambassador of France to the Holy See (2002), Ambassador to China (1996-2002), Ambassador to Russia, Turkmenistan, Mongolia, Tajikistan and Moldova (1992-1996) as well as to Georgia (1992-1993) and Kyrgyzstan (1993-1996).
Press and Information Division
- Foreign Minister to take part in 68th Session of UN General Assembly
- Visa Representation Agreement with Poland to take effect
- Baltic states agree to closely cooperate on implementation of Third Energy
- Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs to take part in meeting of Nordic, Baltic and Visegrad foreign ministers
- Foreign Ministry and LDDK tell about OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises and their application in Latvia’s companies
- Presentation on Latvia’s experience in overcoming crisis at an international forum State Chancellery
- Cabinet of Ministers reviews Foreign Ministry reports on shortcomings of national courts having led to complaints to ECHR
- Foreign Minister of Latvia Edgars Rinkēvičs to go on working visit to Finland
- Ukraine feels the gas squeeze
- While on visit in Denmark, Foreign Minister Kristovskis highlights significance of closer economic co-operation
- Football family is invited to create an official Baltic Cup tournament logo
- Ventspils nafta wins Best Interactive Investor Relations
- Philips reports fourth-quarter comparable sales growth of 7%; operational results up by 20%; 2013 financial targets achieved
- FIVE BULGARIANS ARRESTED FOR INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT CARD FRAUD
- Counterfeit euro print shop busted in Spain
- Tractor thieves halted by Eurojust and Europol coordination
- ANTI-HUMAN TRAFFICKING OPERATION HITS BRUSSELS’ RED LIGHT DISTRICT
- INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF LATVIAN PAYMENT CARD FRAUDSTERS DISMANTLED
- Āboltiņa to Baltic parliamentarians: Cooperation in energy and Rail/BalticRail Baltica project are important both from economic and geopolitical perspective
- 690 internet domain names seized because of fraudulent practices
TOP 5 sites
- Bezmaksas bilžu hostings
- Nekustamo īpašumu serveris www.rigarealty.lv
- Nekustamo īpašumu serveris www.mm.lv
- Nekustamo īpašumu serveris www.mansmajoklis.lv
- Latvijas Futbola Federācija
03:08 EEST 30.08.2014