Birds-eye view of Rigas Daugava
Archeologist and culture historian Juris Urtāns is also active in aerial archaeology and aerial photography; he has flown over all Latvia's regions, using the aerial photographs for the monitoring of culture-historical environment, illustrating books and in photography exhibitions.
"Riga's Daugava from Bird's-Eye View" at the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation is an exhibition of photographs of culture-historical monuments in Riga and Greater Riga that are of utmost importance for Latvian archaeology, architecture and urban development - Riga's Old Town, Daugavgrīva Castle, Dole Island, Daugmale and many more.
Archaeologist and culture historian Juris Urtāns has written over 1,250 publications, including 38 books (seven monographs) and around 200 scientific articles. Juris Urtāns is a researcher of ancient ritual sites and castle mounds, the relation between archaeology and folklore, and others.
He has also participated in the introduction of distance archaeological research methods in Latvia and in underwater archaeological projects in Latvian lakes and rivers as well as in the Baltic Sea. In 2009, Juris Urtāns was elected associate member of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, he is a member and board member at several Latvian an international professional organisations.
Dates: 2012-01-02 - 2012-09-30
Place: Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation
Address: Palasta iela 4
- Riga Historic Music and Dance Festival
- Kalnciema Quarter Gallery, Riga / Until December 15
- Inside and Out
- YOUN SUN NAH quartet – vitality of jazz and Korean urbanity
- ELECTROCARDIOGRAM of the Danish guitar virtuouso Mikkel Andersen
- City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and Baiba Skride to perform in Riga in October
- Opolais makes Zurich debut as Jenufa
- open call for artist residency
- Concert of Polish pop-music and jazz star Justyna Steczkowska
- INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF LATVIAN PAYMENT CARD FRAUDSTERS DISMANTLED
- Āboltiņa to Baltic parliamentarians: Cooperation in energy and Rail/BalticRail Baltica project are important both from economic and geopolitical perspective
- 690 internet domain names seized because of fraudulent practices
- The EU Delegation to Ukraine takes note of the pro-European aspirations
- Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs to open international conference devoted to 10th Anniversary of Latvia’s membership in NATO
- Foreign Ministry State Secretary Pildegovičs summons to MFA Ričardas Degutis, Lithuanian Ambassador to Latvia
- APPROACHING THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF BALTIC NATO MEMBERSHIP
- Baltic parliamentarians will convene in Riga for the 32nd Session of the Baltic Assembly
- Foreign Ministry comment on topics of current interest in relation to Amendments to Citizenship Law
- Foreign Minister presents Latvia's investment projects to Prime Minister of China
00:24 EET 12.12.2013