Valdis, Voldemārs, Valdemārs
Василий, Григорий, Федор, Степан
UN Independent Expert to visit Latvia
From 14 to 18 May, Latvia hosts the visit from Dr. Cephas Lumina, United Nations Independent Expert on the effects of foreign debt and other related international financial obligations of States on the full enjoyment of all human rights, particularly economic, social and cultural rights.
The Independent Expert has indicated that the objectives of his visit to Latvia are to assess the impact of foreign debt on Latvia's capacity to design and implement policies and programmes in order to enjoy all human rights, in particular, economic, social and cultural rights, and the right for development.
Thus, the expert intends to evaluate the effect of the European Union and the International Monetary Fund programmes (2008-2011) on the ability of our country to protect and realise human rights.
To this end, the UN Independent Expert has arranged to meet with representatives from the government institutions and international organisations resident in Latvia, the Ombudsman and non-governmental organisations.
The UN Human Rights Council appointed Dr. Cefas Lumina as Independent Expert in 2008. Dr. Lumina has over 24 years’ legal practice, research and teaching experience in several countries.
Country visits are part of the Independent Expert's mandate. Over the last two years, Dr. Lumina has visited Australia, the Solomon Islands, Vietnam, Norway and Ecuador.
Press and Information Division
- INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF LATVIAN PAYMENT CARD FRAUDSTERS DISMANTLED
- Āboltiņa to Baltic parliamentarians: Cooperation in energy and Rail/BalticRail Baltica project are important both from economic and geopolitical perspective
- 690 internet domain names seized because of fraudulent practices
- The EU Delegation to Ukraine takes note of the pro-European aspirations
- Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs to open international conference devoted to 10th Anniversary of Latvia’s membership in NATO
- Foreign Ministry State Secretary Pildegovičs summons to MFA Ričardas Degutis, Lithuanian Ambassador to Latvia
- APPROACHING THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF BALTIC NATO MEMBERSHIP
- Baltic parliamentarians will convene in Riga for the 32nd Session of the Baltic Assembly
- Foreign Ministry comment on topics of current interest in relation to Amendments to Citizenship Law
- Foreign Minister presents Latvia's investment projects to Prime Minister of China
05:20 EET 11.12.2013